Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Here She Is, Clear As the Day.

I want to do a brief post about the pseudonym I'm using, The Invisible Girl. It, like my blog title, is a reference to as song from Next to Normal, Superboy and the Invisible Girl.  I identify with the name less because of an invisibility or neglect that I feel from my parents' issues (like the character in the show), and more because so much of my identity is, largely, invisible. To look at me, you might see a girl, but you don't know how I come to that identification. You can't, without looking closely enough at my jewelry, see that I am Jewish, and most people can't or don't see that I'm queer. While you can see that I am fat, you can't see that I don't really think all that negatively about it. You can't see my history, you can't see my struggles, you can't what or who has hurt me, and you can't see what or who has built me up. You can't see what makes me angry, and you can't see what I swallow to survive.


My blog here will remain anonymous. This another form of invisibility, but I'm going to use it to allow myself to more fully think through and write about who I am and where I'm coming from in the world. We live in a world of strict social structures with rules that can cause harm, and that can cause harm to those that break the rules. I'm probably going to break the rules, and for now I need the protection of invisibility. It may be a bit ironic, but I'm going to use my invisibilities to help myself become more clearly visible.

From here on out, I am going to try to write posts that are a little less theoretical and forward-thinking about this blog, and instead actually write posts with topics. My goal is to write about once or twice a week, but we'll see how it goes. Sometimes life is insane.

No comments:

Post a Comment